Are you ready to get Messy?
Here at St Giles’ Ickenham!
Please note monthly Messy Church is currently suspended as a Covid-19 Precaution.
A re-start date will be posted here in due course.
But feel free to have a look at our ‘Messy Mondays’ below, for a bite-size Messy session!
Galatians 5:22 The Fruits of the Spirit.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
“These are all good gifts we can receive from God through the Holy Spirit. They are given to us to help us to grow and flourish. So, what are you waiting for? All you have to do is ask!”
Check out some Messy songs under ‘Our favourite songs’ tab.
Enjoy your bite! God Bless. Emma (Family & Children’s Worker)
Here are some activities you can try at home
Messy activities – One a day Mon to Fri.
Paper plate basket.
- Take 2 paper plates
- Mark out a semi-circle.
- Cut out the semi circle.
- Paint the plates brown or your favourite colour.
- When dry stick together.
- Draw or print out 9 fruit shapes, colour them in and write a gift on each fruit.
Easy friendship bracelets to represent Kindness.
- Take 3 strands of wool of equal length.
- Tie the tops together.
- Plait the wool.
- Add beads along the way, if you have any.
- Tie again when you reach the end.
- Make more and give to someone you care about.
Sunny ‘no sew’ pillow.
- Make a no sew sunny pillow to represent Joy.
- Cut 2 circles out of fleece fabric
- No smaller than 28cm in diameter.
- Cut a fringe all the way around the edge. About 6m in.
- Using a sharpie or felt pen, draw a happy face in the middle of one of the circles.
- Start to tie fringe together (top to bottom).
- Leave a small gap to fill with stuffing (Can also be found on Amazon).
Plant some seeds to represent goodness.
- Get some pots or small containers to plant the seeds in. We used biodegradable pots.
- Choose what seeds you will grow.
- If you like decorate the pot with paint or sharpie pen.
- Fill pot with compost.
- Push your seed down into he soil about an inch.
- over with soil and water well.
- Leave to germinate in a dark cupboard.
- After a couple of weeks, you will see some shoots emerging.
- When they are big and healthy, plant them into bigger pots and put in a sunny spot in the garden (or as the seed instructions suggest).
Fruits of the Spirit apple craft.
- Cut put 9 strips of card about 1″ by 8″.
- Write a fruit of the spirit one each one.
- Adults make a hole using a pencil or scissors at each end of every strip.
- Place on top of each other and thread a pipecleaner through all the holes, both ends.
- Shape the top into a leaf and the bottom into a ball.
- Spread out the strips to make an apple.
- You can also practise self-control on not eating too many sweets! Or do a kind deed like tidying a room or helping look after your pet. Maybe make someone a card and post it to them to cheer them up. But most of all have fun!
Don’t forget to stop for a break and remember our Messy grace at dinnertime:
“3, 2, 1 (pause) 1, 2, 3 thank you God for feeding me! Amen.”