Choir Practice is on Friday evenings from 7.30pm until 9.00pm and on most Sunday mornings the choir leads the 9.45am services at St Giles’.
Places are available for children and for adults who sing soprano, alto, tenor and bass. Previous singing experience is helpful, but not essential. We cover a wide range of musical styles, within the church music tradition.
- Training in singing and reading music
- Opportunities to prepare for RSCM awards
- Leading the singing in services at St Giles’
- Choral evensong on the second Sunday each month
- Other special services such as Advent Carols and Lessons and Carols
- Chance to sing in Royal School of Church Music and deanery choir festivals
- Possible visits to sing in cathedrals
- Pocket money (up to age 18) at a rate dependent on skill and experience
Many young musicians from the church have gone on to achieve distinction at University and in their various careers. The skills of presentation, communication and team working with other youngsters and adults learned as a choir member and/or church musician are invaluable for later life.
The band rehearses once a month, usually on a Thursday, from 7.30pm until 9.30pm. We lead the music at the All-age Service on the first Sunday of each month and Worship + The Word on the third Sunday of the month.
Places are available for children and for adults who play a musical instrument or enjoy singing. Previous singing experience is helpful, but not essential. We cover a wide range of musical styles, with the emphasis on worship songs and contemporary hymns. The regular band currently includes several singers and guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and flute. Arrangements are tailored to the skills and experience of each player.